A CT or CAT (computed tomography) scan combines x-ray and computer technology to show highly detailed, 3-D images of any part of the body, including bones, muscles, fat, organs and blood vessels. Scans can also be performed using a contrast solution (either swallowed or injected) to make tissues and vessels more visible.
Leading-edge CT technology
he GE Healthcare 64-slice LightSpeed™ VCT scanner is the most advanced CT technology available — it can capture images of a beating heart in five heartbeats, an organ in one second, and perform a whole body scan in 10 seconds. This technology results in less radiation exposure for patients, and can be used to examine a wider range of conditions — everything from exams of the heart, spine, lungs and colon, to advanced techniques such as angiography, virtual colonoscopy and radiation therapy planning.
Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center offers innovative diagnostic procedures using the 64-slice LightSpeed VCT, including:
- 5-Beat Cardiac™ – Doctors can capture images of the heart and coronary arteries in just five heartbeats. The quicker exam time and shorter breath hold offers a more comfortable experience for sick or elderly patients.
- Triple RuleOut™ – Three primary causes of mortality in patients with chest pain are aortic dissection, pulmonary embolism and coronary artery disease. Poplar Bluff Regional Medical Center doctors can use this single, quick scan to help diagnose chest pain.
- Stroke WorkUp – When treatment is delivered within the first hour after a stroke, it can provide the best possible outcome for the patient. The LightSpeed VCT provides the necessary speed and resolution required for rapid imaging of blood vessels in the brain, so doctors can begin treatment as quickly as possible.
Advanced CT techniques
We provide a range of advanced CT-guided techniques that doctors use in both diagnosis and interventional radiology treatments, including:
- Biopsies and abscess drainages
- CT angiography/arteriography
- CT radiation therapy planning
- Image-guided surgeries and pre-surgical planning
- Myelography (spine imaging with contrast solution)
- Virtual colonoscopy